Thursday, February 21, 2013

School | Book Week


The theme of this year's book week was "One World, Many Stories", which is rather fitting for the multicultural school culture here at SPH. Each day featured a different book/ reading-themed activity. Monday, the kids circulated the school during Move to Read. They visited three different teachers who read excerpts from folk tales originating around the world. I alternated between Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and The Invention of Hugo Cabret.


The next item on Book Week's menu was a guest storyteller. This girl was around the age of my students and told the story of Remmy the rat from the movie Ratatouile. As it was all in Bahasa, I couldn't understand much of what she was saying but her excitement transferred to the kids with each phrase.

What book week would be complete without playing dress up? The students brought their favorite books and dressed up as the main characters. Prior to dress up day, I sincerely encouraged the kids not to be the only one who showed up without a costume....then I forgot to wear mine! Teacher fail. Luckily, my awesome principal saved the day and drove me home for a quick change worthy of a phone booth. Here are a few of my faves from the day! In order: Nikki (Dork Diaries), Tin Tin, Captain Underpants, Ash (Pokemon), Artemis Fowl, Alice, Ramona, Oliver Twist, and I was Katniss from Hunger Games!



Our photoshoot wasn't enough, so as a team, we hosted a fashion show for all of our stars, complete with a red carpet and some kickin' beats!

Our activities concluded with a little D.E.A.R. time, which for all of you non-teachers, stands for drop everything and read.



No comments:

Post a Comment